This, ladies and gents, is probably the best possible place for you to store any form of handmade, all-natural skincare. Given that we are trying to do away with plastic shrink wrapping, and that our beeswax wraps themselves also have limited shelf lives of their own, we highly recommend that you treat them as you would fresh food.
Place your unopened soap bars in plastic containers and keep them in the fridge until you need to use them. The containers will help to prevent the soap and food from cross-contamination of odours, but they are not necessary. The cold, dry insides of the fridge will prevent the formation of mould on the beeswax wraps, which has happened for soap bars that were stored in warm, humid places. And since your fridge is already running 24/7, adding a few soap bars in there won’t do much to change its current energy consumption. Reducing spoilage will also mean that we won’t use up resources to replace otherwise perfectly good bars of soap.
It’s a terrific win-win solution all round:
- we do away with plastic shrink wrapping
- the lifespan of both our beeswax wraps and soap are prolonged
- our collaborative efforts will reduce the amount of trash that ends up in landfills and waterways
- reduced carbon footprint of having to purchase shrink wrapping or importing (costly) biodegradable options
- reduces waste from having to replace spoilt soap bars
- makes use of an existing resource, i.e. your fridge, which already operates 24/7 without any additional energy consumption to accommodate the soap.
I know that this is a bit of an odd practice when it comes to storing skincare items, and I do apologise if this causes you any inconvenience. However I feel very strongly about using as little plastic as possible, and to also minimise the amount of materials we use for packaging as best as we can. Too much waste from the consumption of all kinds of things in our daily lives is already being dumped into landfills. I believe that you and I are in a good position to reduce our contribution to waste generation by tweaking our habits here and there.
Thank you so much for your continued support. Please share this information with other users of handmade skincare (not just Kinder Soaps), so that we can save even more space in the earth from being taken up by unnecessary packaging.